Here’s an alternate edition for “Dear Sophie, ” all of the advice column that responds to immigration-related questions about effective at technology companies.
“Your questions have become vital to the spread expertise that allows people all over the world to rise above borders and obtain their dreams, ” states that Sophie Alcorn , a The bay area immigration attorney. “Whether someone may be in people ops, a founder or seeking a job inside of Silicon Valley, I would love to answer your questions in my next line. ”
More Crunch members receive can download weekly “Dear Sophie” posts; use promo code ALCORN prior to buying any a one- or two-year subscription regarding 50% off .
Our startup makes use of several individuals who are on achieve their purpose visas or have employment consent. Many of them have been waiting for quite a while for the government to tell them these applications have been received.
The particular? When will things come back on track? We have a few people who are waiting for green business, and a few F-1 visa except if who will be extending perfect OPT to STEM OPT.
Perhaps there is anything we can do?
— Patient in Pasadena
Thanks for your wonders. Last September, an increase in guidelines submitted to U. Le. Citizenship and Immigration Legal services (USCIS) amid COVID-19-related staff or family helpers reductions created a substantial backlog and subsequent delay found in USCIS sending out receipt updates.
My law practice partner, Anita Koumriqian , and I provided an update on sales receipt notices on a recent podcast . Dedicating an entire episode which can receipt notices was unspeakable a year ago because applicants often times received receipt notices in just one to three weeks after USCIS received their application.
For those who don’t exactly where, USCIS sends a mail called a receipt notice in applicants when it receives the application. The receipt notice — also known as a Notice related with Action or Form I-797 — contains information about:
- Whether the program was accepted, in which case you being notified of how it will be delt with, or rejected if it were filed appropriately, such as not always using the latest form or possibly forgetting to check a system on the application form.
- A receipt number, which is certainly used to check the status in your case either online or by phone.
- The date the application was received, which for a few green card applications is the priority dating companion . (Priority dates for those who are EB-2 and EB-3 ecological cards are when the Cometido Department received the PERM Ocupación Certification method. ) A priority date ascertains your place in line for a legal alien number to become available in line with the green card category and the permanent resident card candidate’s country of fetal birth.
The things that caused the backlog?
Before the pandemic, individuals would typically be informed in less than one month after USCIS received their application. In recent years, applicants are receiving this receipt notice as long as main to nine weeks right away USCIS received their application form, and sometimes longer.
As I mentioned earlier, coronavirus-related staffing discount rates at USCIS coupled with a major jump in the number of applications posted prompted huge delays that can began in September. Software submissions surged primarily on account of:
- Préfiguration of fee hikes that slated to go into impact on October 2, 2020, past being blocked by a govt . court judge.
- Rapid forward movement along at the monthly Visa Bulletin for a bit of green card categories, which made green card numbers became available to many waiting in line.